Biryani is considered a national favorite. Dum biryani, Hyderabadi biryani, Kolkata biryani, or Veg biryani, you name it. Indians have always devoured the dish. However, a version of biryani has been proven fatal in Kerala.
A 20-year-old girl passed away after allegedly eating 'Kuzhimanthi' - a biryani dish in Kerala on January 7. Anju Sreeparvathy from Perumbala near Kasaragod ordered the biryani dish online from a local named Romansia on December 31. She fell sick after consuming the dish and had to be rushed to the hospital.
Anju was undergoing treatment at a private hospital. She was then referred to another hospital in Mangalore in Karnataka. However, unfortunately, she passed away reportedly from food poisoning. A case was registered by her parents.
Subimole YJ, Food Safety Assistant Commissioner of Kasaragod, was ordered to conduct a thorough inspection of the Romansia restaurant. The hotel was clean and had an active license, however, it was sealed by the officials.
State Health Minister, Veena George, gave directions to the Food Safety Commissioner to file a report. The incident and the treatment given to the girl are under investigation. She said that the license of the hotels accused of food poisoning will be canceled under Food Safety and Standards Act (FSSA).
A few days before, a nurse at Kottayam Medical College died after consuming the same dish from a different restaurant. The 33-year-old Reshmi passed away allegedly from food poisoning.
(Input from various media sources)