Twelve girls from a local school were hospitalized after eating Khichadi in Rajasthan.
The incident happened at Devnarayan Residential School in the Sirohi District of Rajasthan on December 17. This happens to be another case of contaminated food served in Indian schools.
The students were rushed to the hospital. Chief Medical and Health Officer, Dr. Rakesh Kumar said that the students were admitted with complaints of abdominal pain, nausea, and vomiting. He further added that four students were undergoing added treatment, and eight were discharged after primary treatment.
The samples of Khichadi have been sent for testing.
According to government data, 2022 marks the highest number of food poisoning cases due to meals served in schools in the last six years. 979 school students suffered food poisoning after eating meals served in schools in 2022.
Some of the reasons include lack of quality control, lack of inspections, improper sanitation and hygiene, lack of infrastructure, lack of accountability, etc, to name a few. It is high time for authorities to look into this matter seriously.
(Input from various media sources)