Flesh-eating Parasites. Sounds scary right? Well, they are. A man from Florida recently lost vision in one eye due to a rare flesh-eating parasite that developed after he slept with his contact lenses on.
Mike Krumholz, 21, decided to take a small nap last month. However, he woke up with what appeared to him as 'bad allergies' or even a 'pink eye.' Mr. Krumholz has been wearing contact lenses for the last seven years, so pink eye or eye infection was a common phenomenon.
However, this time the situation had gone from bad to worse as he was diagnosed with a rare flesh-eating parasite called Acanthamoeba Keratitis in his right eye.
The delay in diagnosis also played a huge part. He was misdiagnosed with Herplex Simplex Virus (HSV1). After visiting five ophthalmologists and two cornea specialists, he was finally diagnosed with Acanthamoeba Keratitis.
Mr. Krumholz added that he was "absolutely no vision" in one eye. He underwent a surgery called Photodynamic therapy (PDT) relocation of the conjunctival flap. He said that it is extremely painful, he cannot go outside, and he can't work.
However, he is optimistic that he will get through this time. He has set up a GoFundMe page to collect funds and spread awareness about taking contact lenses off while sleeping or while taking a shower.
(Input from various media sources)