Butyrate also known as butanoic acid is a 4 carbon straight chain alkyl carboxylic fatty acid produced in lower intestinal tract by microbial fermentation of dietary fibers.
- It shows symbiotic relationship with gut as it digests food or dietary fibers and breaks them down into a number of organic compounds and short chain fatty acids (SCFAS).
- It fuels the cells that line our gut i.e. colonocytes, helps the colon wall's immune system operate, and guards against several digestive tract disorders.
-By inhibiting the activity of ‘HDAC’, it combats inflammation and cancer by reducing the activity of particular immune cells which help in preventing inflammation and colorectal cancer.
- It functions as an antioxidant to strengthen intestinal health.
- It helps to enhance absorption of electrolytes in colon which is important for a variety of physiological functions and may be helpful in avoiding certain types of diarrhea.
- It enhances the capacity for performance or stamina.
- It facilitates weight loss.
- Used as an energy booster drink before pre workout for doing heavy bench press, deadlifts etc.
- Helps in maintaining hemodialysis patient’s serum lipid profile.
One can eat foods like legumes, nuts, fruits, cereals etc. that help in production of butyrate to improve gut health and should always consult a physician before taking butyrate supplements.