The "Benadryl Challenge," a popular TikTok trend, sadly claimed the life of a 13-year-old boy from Ohio in the United States. This trend involves taking a large amount of over-the-counter antihistamine Benadryl to cause hallucinations. Last weekend, Jacob Stevens took 12 to 14 of the pills at his home.
According to an ABC6.com report, the teen started to convulse, and a video taken by his companions showed him suffering serious adverse effects. After being admitted to the hospital and put on a ventilator for six days, Jacob passed away.
His parents are now warning others about the risks associated with social media fads and urging lawmakers to impose age restrictions on the purchase of drugs like Benadryl.
Jacob's grandmother is determined to ensure that no other child goes through what Jacob did. "I will do everything I can to make sure another young person doesn't have to suffer through it," she told a local TV news station.
The devastated family is now preparing for Jacob's funeral, which will be held next week. Meanwhile, his father is adamant that no other family goes through what they are going through, He expressed his determination to make sure that lawmakers put an age restriction on buying medicine like Benadryl, saying that it has now become his life's mission and he will pursue it relentlessly until he achieves it.
The Food and Drug Administration ( FDA) has expressed concerns about Benadryl overdoses linked to TikTok's Benadryl Challenge. The active ingredient of Bendaryl i.e. diphenhydramine is known to cause severe heart issues, seizures, coma, or even death when taken in higher doses.
Additionally, the Johnson & Johnson subsidiary that makes Benadryl, has warned against the "dangerous trend," and both it and the FDA have advised keeping drugs like Benadryl out of children's reach.
It's not the first time a deadly TikTok craze has resulted in a fatality. Approximately 15 children under the age of 12 have died in the past 18 months as a result of the 'Blackout Challenge' which involves participants holding their breath until they pass out. Authorities have also issued warnings about other risky challenges, like the "Skull Breaker Challenge" and the "Kiki Challenge," which have resulted in injuries. Authorities in Mexico recently issued a warning over the risks associated with a trending TikTok challenge that involves taking drugs to remain awake.
Social media challenges pose potential dangers to teenagers. Parents and authorities need to remain vigilant and take proactive measures to protect vulnerable teenagers.
(Input from various media sources)